Updated: Dec 28, 2020
As my 21st birthday is approaching, I have decided to reflect back on the years and all of the craziness that has happened both amazing and not so great. Everything that we go through in life, the people that we meet, and how we handle situations all act as lessons that we can either choose to apply or dismiss in our future endeavors.
As a method of self care, it is important to not only self reflect, but also applaud yourself for your achievements and lessons that were learned along the way. I have created a quick list of 21 lessons I have learned over the years that could hopefully act as a little spark of inspiration for your own self love and reflection during this crazy time!
1. Fight fire with success
Turn received hate or negative comments into fuel for productivity. If someone is wasting their time bashing you to others, you're still relevant to them… enjoy it ;)
2. Victimizing oneself only gains short term attention and not long term support
A victim complex is dangerous and will only drive the good people away.
3. Writing out your feelings to no one is more productive than hitting send
Sometimes putting a situation out into the world unheard is more productive than starting an uphill battle.
4. Believe in your abilities!
Try not to let intimidation keep you from your goals.
5. Even if the truth hurts, say it!
People are not always going to like what you have to say, but the truth is necessary for growth on both ends.
6. Never miss an opportunity to travel
The experiences gained will aid in your personal growth and allow you to be in touch with the world around you.
7. Look confident first, become confident later
Starting off by pretending to be confident grew into real confidence that is stronger than ever.
8. Be secure enough in who you are to say no to plans!
Be confident in your personality and know that FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) is a bad habit.
9. Consistently try new things!
Whether it be new foods or a new hobby, there's always something that can be learned
10. Never feel pressured into something that you do not want to do
You are strong and can saying “no” is empowering!!!
11. Always point out the positive in any situation
Practicing saying it out loud is a great way to train yourself to always see the good like it's second nature
12. Show the ones you love that you appreciate them!
Don't neglect the people that are there for you through thick and thin.
13. Life is a roller coaster, but things will always get better
Sometimes it may feel like the world is crumbling apart, but every dark time eventually turns into light.
14. If you really want something, make it happen for yourself!
Dreaming about achieving your goals will get you nowhere, so don't live in complacency. Get on that side hustle!
15. Social Media can be a distraction from the now
Social media is awesome, but it can eat away at all of the amazing things you can achieve and enjoy in the real world with real people.
16. A smile is contagious
Don't be selfish... why not spread your happiness to others?! Putting on a smile when you are sad actually can make you feel happier as well!
17. Evaluate your friendships
If someone is not bringing you happiness but bringing you down, it is time to let go and move forward.
18. You can not change people if they do not take the steps to change themselves
Waiting for change to happen within someone is not helping them get to where they need to be. Not everyone has to be the way that you think they should be.
19. Cherish the people who are always there for you and support them twice as hard
Never let the people who support you feel like they are neglected in their times of struggle.
20. Actions speak louder than words
Believing in empty promises is destructive, so walk away from those that can not follow through.
21. Be Authentically who you are and love it to pieces!
No one is better at being you than you so keep killin' the game!
Never let someone tell you how to dress, how to live, or what to think because your ability to be unique is what makes you valuable. Be your authentic self and let the critics do their thing because it only gives you more time to get further ahead. Being confident in your abilities, your friendships, and your goals is what will lead you to success in the future. We all make mistakes, but learning from them is the only way to move forward instead of falling behind.
Over the years I have been at all time highs and all time lows, but overcoming those challenges has trained me to have the strength to stand up for what I deserve and what is right. Most importantly, I have learned that confidence and motivation are self made and this can catapult you towards living a blissful life. Feeling motivated and passionate about something means nothing unless you act on it and use it to create something beautiful. Enjoy the ones you love, enjoy the world around you, and try and begin to breathe happily.
April Ann :)